February 15, 2011

Absinthe-Minded Fridays

I'm always up for trying something new and crazy, so when I spotted absinthe on the menu at The Currant, I knew I had to have it.







Mussels & Fries - steamed mussels and thyme fries with french curry

Bison Burger - spicy bacon jam, wisconsin yellow cheddar, onion confit & thyme fries


I've heard numerous myths about green fairy sightings whenever absinthe was involved, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The taste, (very similar to green NyQuil), wasn't my favorite part; however the overall experience was pretty awesome, and it went something like this: the shots of Lucid Absinthe were poured over a sugar cube, which was then lit on fire and melted into the green liquor. After that, a spicket of water was opened just enough to allow a little bit of water to drip into each glass, in order to dilute the drink.. the cocktail was then consumed, and let me just tell you... I don't remember seeing any green fairies, but perhaps that's because I don't remember much of anything at all! This stuff is pretty crazy, and I only had one shot! I do recall the food to be excellent though, and the decor simply swiped me off my feet...


Still trying to figure out if this whole absinthe buzz was a fluke. I'm going back on Friday to investigate. Won't you join me?


natasha

3 comments:

kelcy ☼ said...

how interesting!! I've always wondered about absinthe too! Those thyme fries look amazing also...

I'm a new follower and love your blog <33
http://kelcyloveslife.blogspot.com

Natasha Contreras said...

Hi darlin! We actually went to the Currant AGAIN last night because some of our friends wanted to check out the whole absinthe situation. The food is mighty delicious too! Thanks for following! I'll be sure to check out your blog too.

Lindsay With An "A" said...

Yum! This place looks so cool - great food AND drink! I am adding this to the list of places that I need to go when I'm in SD again! How was the absinthe? I've had it once, and it had a VERY strong taste! Didn't love it, but didn't hate it. I'm enjoying your blog :)

http://lindsaylovesitall.blogspot.com