January 12, 2012

Washington D.C. - Yummies

Soul Burger Number One - bacon, swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions
I always trust a tiny hole in the wall with a long line and limited seating,
to have amazing food.

Ray's Hell Burger didn't disappoint.
They claim to have the best burgers in the D.C. region,
and they aren't frontin.
Perfectly moist,
deliciously rich.
These burgers are good.
Real good.

Whether you prefer a gourmet burger smothered in truffle oil,
or if you just want an original patty, with good-quality, wholesome ingredients,
you'll definitely find something that tickles your fancy on this menu.

I opted for a soul burger,
and boy was it comforting.
I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Be prepared to spend a few minutes in line,
and make sure you have cash on you..
but most importantly,
if you plan on finding a seat in the restaurant,
be prepared to pounce on a table as soon as someone stands up,
because seating is scarce.

Onion Soup Les Halles - rich beef broth with caramelized onions, sourdough croutons and gruyere cheese
& Charcuterie Board



Where better to get a French onion soup on a rainy day,
than a fabulous French restaurant right by the capitol?

Bistro Bis is tres chic.
 The ambiance put me right back onto the streets of Paris,
and the food satiated my hunger, and then some.

The onion soup was pure perfection.
I always appreciate restaurants that aren't sheisty with their Gruyere.
The charcuterie board offered plenty of variety,
and gave us a chance to try various pattes, 
while the little side salads were a nice added bonus.

Overall, this place was quite perfect for a romantic afternoon date.


Seared Sweetbreads - grilled watermelon, green apple cucumber, arcadia tatsoi
Arctic Char Tartare - yuzu gelee, candied ginger, soy-mirin, sesame scrisp
Honey Glazed Duck Breast - leg confit, wild rice, brandied cherries, radishes
Goat's Milk Cheesecake - salted olive oil ice cream, port poached pears, pistachio
Wow.
I'm not even sure where to start,
because our entire experience in this restaurant was beyond!

I suppose I'll tell you a little about the ambiance first.
Natural materials like the bamboo floors and limestone tabletops
give this place an earthy vibe.
Upon entering,
my eyes darted straight to the beer "organ" of copper pipes,
which stands as the functional centerpiece that fills all the draft orders.

Yeah.. draft orders...
Did I mention that B&B serves over 550 beers,
including 50 drafts and five cask ales?
Talk about a great selection!
And check this out,
to keep up with the perpetually changing beer lineup,
all staff attend nightly preshift meetings
to taste beer and discuss food pairings.
I was wondering how it was possible for our waiter to know SO much about all the beers,
and was thankful that we asked for pairing recommendations,
because the beers that we selected to taste,
complimented our dinner selection like peanut butter and jelly.

Ah, this brings me to the food.
Oh my gah...
EVERYTHING pictured above was cooked to perfection.
A friend said it best recently,
"any restaurant brave enough to serve sweet breads,
and serve them well, is worth trying."
Well ladies and gents,
this place is definitely worth a shot.
The husband was seriously obsessed with the "best duck he's ever tasted',
and I couldn't get the juicy skirt steak out of my mind for days.

Alright,
enough praise.
Just go visit the dang place.
If you're a foodie,
I promise you won't regret it,
and neither will your wallet.
Amen!

Palak Chaat - crispy spinach, sweet yogurt, tamarind, date chutney
Tawa Baigan - eggplant, spiced potato, olive oil, peanut sauce
Tandoori Lamb Chops - mace, cardamom, cashew nuts, ginger
Chicken Green Masala - chicken, mint, coriander, ground spices
Any place that's booked up weeks in advance,
typically gets my attention.
I love games.
The whole, "playing hard to get" act is my favorite.

After finally securing a seat,
I was ready to experience what all the fuss was about.
Rasika welcomed us in,
and offered up modern Indian cuisine that was
exuberantly conceived and executed with precision.

My favorite dishes were the Palak chaat and the tandoori lamb chops,
but trust me when I say that everything we tried that night was delicious.
There's a reason why this restaurant has received numerous accolades,
and is so hard to get into.

Do yourself a favor and get here a little early.
Treat yourself to a cocktail from some of the most famous mixologists in the city,
and take your time as you travel on to India with every bite that you take during the hours that follow.

natasha

5 comments:

Mandy Koster said...

Wow! This is one of the most mouthwatering posts I've ever read! :-)

Have a wonderful weekend.
X Mandy
http://mandykoster.blogspot.com

Bailey Schneider said...

I am salivating! What an amazing post and your pictures are fantastic!

Oliviaaa said...

I need to go back and just eat my way through DC.

Megan said...

i just...cant.

i cant.

Alex said...

Holy cow!!! I want all of this food right this very second. A trip to D.C. is in order!