January 7, 2013

Dublin Yummies


I'd like to go on the record and say...
that whoever claims that there is no decent food in Ireland is a damn fool. 
Yeah, I said it, and you want to know why?
Because the few places we dined at while in Dublin served some of the best meals not only during our trip, 
but possibly... ever! 
Bold statement, I know,
but let me offer you exhibit A:
dublin6
Foie Gras Parfait, Fig Jam & Chutney, Toasted Brioche
Roasted Rabbit Saddle, Braised Leg, Wild Mushroom Gnocchi, Artichoke Puree
Confit of Duck, Cumin Spiced Lentils, Fennel Puree
Goat's Milk Panna Cotta
Vanilla Cheesecake, Mango Jelly, Toasted Granola, Creme Fraiche & Lime Sorbet
One Pico may look a bit inconspicuous from the outside,
but inside is a kitchen that has earned countless awards,
including, but not limited to the Michelin Bib Gourmand (several years in a row) and a title as the Restaurant of the Year according to the Food and Wine Magazine and the Georgina Campbell Guide

We kicked off the night with a bottle of Urban Malbec,
clearly a favorite of ours, if you've been keeping up with some of my foodie posts.
Choosing the courses for our pre-set dinner was really tough,
because practically every selection sounded beyond delicious.
Foie Gras is an extravagance that I rarely get to enjoy these days since it was outlawed in California,
and I was delighted to find that it was prepared exceptionally well at this restaurant.
All the dishes were not only delicious, but also beautifully plated,
and the service left us feeling like pure royalty.
If I had to recommend one place to dine in Ireland,
I'm pretty sure One Pico would be it.

Although.... let's take a look at Exhibit B:
dublin9
Parfait of Foie Gras en Gelee au raisin sec.
Told you I love this stuff..
dublin11
dublin13
Cheesin' it!
I fell in love with Marco Pierre White the minute I laid eyes on him through the lens of the TV, 
all whilst he was chatting up my other lover, Anthony Bourdain, during one of the episodes of No Reservations.
We were supposed to dine at one of his restaurants in London,
but after missing our reservation (oops) I was sure my opportunity was gone for good.
Until... I spotted his face on a menu of a chic steakhouse, a few blocks away from Trinity College.
All other plans were immediately cancelled,
as we ducked inside to enjoy two of the most tender cuts of meat our taste buds ever had the pleasure of meeting.


I hope that by this point I've convinced you that there are some extraordinary dining establishments in Dublin,
but just in case, here's another little gem..
dublin16
The Bank on College Green is located in a historic Belfast Bank Co building. 
Very reasonably priced, the restaurant offers plenty of traditional favorites that left us full and happy for an entire day. 
Definitely a must visit if you're looking for a fun place right in the center of the city. 

So what do you think?
I bet you just can't wait to check out the restaurant scene in the capital of Ireland!

natasha

No comments: