October 1, 2012

Gobble Gobble

This weekend the mister and I,
along with a few of our dearest friends,
celebrated Thanksgiving.

Say whaaaat?

Yeah, you read that right.
Thanks-mother-luvah-giving.
gobble1
My dress is from ASOS and shoes are by Zigi Soho.
Huzband is totally copping a feel. Woopsie.
gobble2
Okay, so let me explain.
A few months ago,
we were sitting around with our friends,
enjoying a few glasses of wine (I've noticed that this activity always leads to the best ideas),
and somehow the topic of holidays came up.
After discussing each others' family traditions,
we all mutually agreed that it would be really awesome to spend the holidays not only with family, but also with friends.
But who has the time for all that?
Personally, as a married couple,
Erik and I struggle as is, splitting our time between our two families...

Then a great idea was born.
Why don't we just pick a random date before the actual holiday,
to get together, cook a traditional meal, play games, and basically do all other Thanksgiving activities that our little hearts desire?
Planners were checked,
a mutually convenient date was settled upon,
and Mockgiving was officially in the works.
Boom.
Like with anything else that I get really excited about,
every detail was planned out to a tee.
Erik and I hosted the evening at our house,
and were in charge of cooking the turkey this year.
I used this recipe to brine the bird,
along with this super cute little video from one of my favorite food blogs to truss it.
Erik also prepared a really yummy stuffing using this recipe.
Everything turned out so perfectly, and I really wouldn't change a single detail about the evening.
gobble12
gobble9
A few afterthoughts:
1. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a turkey in September.
Doesn't everyone choose to roast a turkey in the midst of 95 degree heat?
2. Adult sleepovers are the absolute best. 
If you haven't partaken in one for a while, I suggest you get to planning, stat!

natasha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea! It sounds like so much fun... everything except roasting a turkey in the heat wave we have been experiencing. Maybe next next year you can this in Jan. or Feb?

Ana said...

I think that's a great idea! I thought about doing something similar last year, but never got around to it.

The turkey looks yummy!