July 19, 2013

Recipe: Portobello & Leek Carbonara

I LOVE pasta. 
Not every day. Or every week even. 
But once in a while, I get that craving.. that rich, creamy taste just makes my mouth water. 
This is how I know I can never be a full time paleo... tician
Oh well. As long as every thing's in moderation, right?

Pasta + Eggs. 
What a wonderful concept.
Have you ever tried it? 
Oh my gosh, it's the bees knees!
The recipe for the carbonara I made last night called for a mixture of eggs and parm to be folded into the pasta right before serving. The result turned out better than I could have expected. 
The only complaint from the husband was that he could have used more bacon. 
Story of my life. 
My excuse was that this was a "diet" version...
a concept destroyed by an immediate second serving. 
Goal for the rest of my life? Restraint. 
I'll keep working on it. 
Portobello and Leek Carbonara 
[adapted from my foodie blog crush, How Sweet It Isserves 2-4 

Ingredients
-4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
-2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and patted dry 
-12 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped  
-1/2 pound whole wheat linguine 
-2 large eggs
-3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese 

Directions
Bring water for pasta to a boil. 

Heat a large skillet oven medium heat and add bacon. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy – about 6-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain. Reduce heat to low. 

Add in leeks with a pinch of salt, then toss mushrooms on top. Stir everything together to coat, then let cook until ingredients are softened – about 5 minutes. At this time, throw the pasta in the water to cook – it is really important that the pasta is hot. While the pasta is cooking, mix eggs and cheese together in a large bowl. The mixture will be thick. 

As soon as pasta is finished, reserve 1/2-3/4 cup liquid, drain pasta and immediately throw into the skillet. Toss with the leeks and mushrooms to coat, then remove from heat. With a large spoon in one hand, add the egg mixture right on top and immediately begin stirring the pasta together. I usually stir for a good minute or two. At this time if desired, add the pasta water to the skillet to make things a bit more creamy and saucy. Toss in bacon. Serve immediately with extra cheese!

natasha

3 comments:

Haydee said...

Hi Natasha! I was looking for images of the walls of Cucina Urbana and I stumble upon your blog. I was reading thru it and I saw I picture of you and remember you from the Port of San Diego (It's Haydee from Cafe Ole). The blog is adorable!

Bailey Schneider said...

That looks mouth watering! YUMMY!
Much love, Bailey from Vanilla Blonde

Unknown said...

Good Day,
I am maxim olena, my company gives out end of year loans to serious minded individuals and companies at low interest rate, minimum amount offer : $5,000.00 and maximum amount offer: $5,000,000.00.

Are you interested on the loan amount? confirmed the receipt of this email. Get back to us as soon as possible so that we can furnish you with the loan terms and condition.

THANKS & REGARDS.
maxim olena
=====================
http://www.hardmoneywebsite.com/maximolena
info.maximolena@gmail.com