March 25, 2013

Carnitas Snack Shack

This weekend I spent a night in LA LA Land for a girls getaway with my bestie. 
More about Hollywood later..
Today I want to tell you about how nice it was to come back to the beautiful, smog-free streets of San Diego, 
and to eat the most gluttonous, delicious meal I could get my paws on. 

Carnitas Snack Shack has been getting A TON of foodie buzz lately,
and I'm a little ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to finally check it out. 
Better late than never though, right?
And yes, this place was worth the hour-long wait because let's face it,
the weather couldn't have been better and the food really is that good. 
I'm not the only one who thinks so either - 
the restaurant was voted as the #1 restaurant in North Park, 
and included in the Top Ten San Diego Restaurants in Zagat's 2013 survey
Not bad for a shack, eh?

So what's the big deal, anyway?
 Let's put it this way.. sometimes it's just really hard to be simply great. 
The key word here is simple
There are typically only ten things on the menu, which by the way, changes daily, 
so please don't get mad at me if you get attached to one of the items you see below. 
The decor is not anything to get worked up about either,
but it all just fits - the outdoor seating, the paper napkins... 
This place may not scream romance, 
but then again, it's a pretty safe bet that if the girl you're dating isn't ashamed to down a giant pork sandwich in front of you, she's probably a keeper. 
Triple Threat Pork Sandwich - pork loin schnitzel/ pulled pork/ bacon/ pepperoncini-pickle relish/ shack aioli 
carnitas4
Baby Back Ribs - served with tator tots
Under all that lettuce lies the most delicious burger I've had in a LONG time..
Snack Shack Burger - lettuce/ tomato/ bacon jam/ white cheddar/ shack aioli
Side of Fries - with homemade ketchup
carnitas6
And for the grand finale, please do yourself a favor and indulge in a Bacon Crunch Bar.
So. Stinkin. Good. 
2632 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104

natasha

5 comments:

Justine said...

oh. my god. YUM!

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

The mac and cheese looks to die for! I need to check that place out. Look at that line!!

Anonymous said...

oh my god. that mac and cheese! i need it!

Alyssa said...

GAH! I am mac and cheese obsessed, so I'm pretty much drooling now!

Anonymous said...

OMG..I cannot believe that line. That mac & chesse will be mine! My hubs and I will be in San Diego in a couple of weeks and we will hit up this place. Thanks so much for all of your great foodie rec's!