October 10, 2012

Where the Wild Things Are

I love playing tourist in my own town. 
A few days ago I took an opportunity to show some visitors around San Diego Zoo Safari Park,
which was as much of a treat for me as it was for them, 
considering that I haven't been there in almost ten years. 

Now I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the world-famous San Diego Zoo,
but what you might not know is that along with the Safari Park, 
these two facilities are a part of a conservation organization dedicated to the science of saving endangered species worldwide. 
To date, the organization has reintroduced 33 species back into the wild including: 
5 species of reptiles, 17 species of birds, and 10 species of mammals. 
 In many cases, these efforts have meant the difference between extinction and survival.
Wow!

Taking a guided tour around the facilities was truly an eye-opening experience. 
I also had a chance to pick out some critters that I'd like to adopt as pets...
Jambo!
How cute is this lion couple? He was totally following her around and holding her tail.
What's NOT pictured is how these lions got their freak on shortly after.
I was obviously a pervert and proceed to snap away, while some kids around me were scarred for life...
The best part was eavesdropping on the parents who were trying to explain the situation to their children
"um.. this is how momma lion and papa lion love each other". Ha!
zoo19
Head over heels in love with the short chunky goat on the right. 
zoo11
Giraffes are some of my favorite mammals.
Such beautiful animals. And how cute is the baby? Squeal!
Have I ever mentioned that I used to have a chinchilla for a pet?
Yep, her name was Gucci, and she was the cutest thing ever!
This one looks just like her. 
Oh my gosh, it's official, pacas are the cutest rodents. I want one!
The Lorikeet Landing was one of my favorite spots in the whole park.
For $3 you can buy some nectar and then proceed to an open cage where the lorikeets fly right up to you.
These guys are not shy at all!
It was awesome to be able to get so close to these pretty birds.
I became obsessed with this meerkat. He followed me around and would just sit back and chill.
Totally reminded me of Timone from Lion King.. Hakuna Matata!
So many babies around! This little gorilla was very active. 
If you're ever in San Diego, don't miss out on the Safari Park. 
I had such a great time there, and I'm sure you will too!


natasha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love it. it still bugs me that it's not called the wild animal park anymore.

Unknown said...

I am so jealous! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to the Wild Animal Park! It looks absolutely amazing!

Make sure you get a chance to go see my new blog design today :) I am pretty excited about it. (sorry for being that blogger, I just wanted to brag lol)

http://allkindsofcomplicated.blogspot.com/